Strategies the card game that has managed to win millions of hearts is Uno. It has emerged has the biggest card game in this world. Every kid and adult in this world know Uno. Since it is suitable for any age, Uno has managed to gather a huge fan base. Everybody regardless of their age loves playing Uno. With attractive colours and unique strategies, Uno is ruling the card sector of the industry. Uno cards, nowadays, is not only used for playing but also for learning purpose. The colours attract the attention of the kids which makes it easy to make kids learn. Uno is a revolutionary invention which changed the mindset of people.
Best strategies to play Uno
Uno is taken quite seriously with people now. Winning has become an obsession in Uno. The speciality of this game is, you never know when the direction of the game changes. You might be winning this moment, but after the next round, you can go down again. This game is the perfect combination of luck and wit.
Also Read : Best Places to play Uno
One wrong move can change the course of the game. There are many strategies that can be followed in order to win the game. Before looking into the game strategies, let us see the content of Uno.
- 9 number cards of red, blue, green and yellow colour.
- Skip, Reverse, Draw-Two Cards
- Draw 4 cards, Wild Cards
Each of these cards has their own functions. There are zillions of strategies. It is not necessarily the one listed will help you, but yes, your game will definitely get better using these strategies. Other key elements that contribute to winning a game is that it also depends on how many opponents you have. Along with that, the colours in your hand, the Action cards you have, and how many Action cards have been used on/against you. So, let’s look into few of the strategies which can make your game grow.
Always try to keep track of what card is being played and what has already been played. You required to give you full attention to people around you.
- When you pay attention the game, and if you realise that a person is playing same colour card for quite a few turns now, it means that the person is trying to exhaust that colour card from his hand. It is a cue for you to change the colour and stop the process and take control of the game.
- When you are playing your game, and you notice that a certain player has to keep picking up cards when you play a particular colour, that indicates that he does not have that colour card. This is advantageous for you. Try not to change the colour in that scenario.
- You should try to control the game and not vice versa. Try to change the colour according to the cards in your hand. The best and effective way is to use Wild Cards. You can also change the colour by playing down the same number of the card played but with a different colour.
Reverse, Draw-Two Cards and Skip Cards:
These are some cards with special actions. If these cards are used sensibly and strategically, the game can be easily won. It is very important that these cards are used at the right time or else the game slips from your hand.
- In case you are playing with only one opponent, you should skip or use reverse cards so that only you get the chance to play and discard your cards as soon as possible.
- Let’s take a hypothetical situation where you are down to only two cards which are skipped and reverse. In this situation, you should first play the reverse card. This will reverse the direction of the game, and you get the chance to play again. That time use your skip card. This way you win the game.
Draw two cards is a perfect weapon to stop the player who is winning. It should be used strategically to win the game.
- In case the player who played just before you have only a few cards left, try to play a reverse card followed by a Draw-Two card on your turn. They may be able to play another card from the Reverse, but the Draw Two will give them an extra card.
- When your opponent has only one card left, make sure you drop the draw two cards, so that they cannot end the game.
- When 4 or more players are playing the game, you can always “team up” against one of the members who is winning. Coordinate with the player sitting right opposite to you. Come to a mutual understanding to play the game. While playing the draw two cards, skip and reverse come to a mutual understanding.
- When a Draw Two is played on someone, the person with whom you have coordination also needs to skip their turn. So, in this way, you can “cooperate” with the player opposite of you, albeit temporarily.
The trump cards of Uno are Wild and Draw-Four Wild cards. They can make or break a winning round.
- Wild card and Draw Four has the highest points in the game. The objective of Uno is to score the lowest. In case, if you are left with only these two cards, you will unnecessarily gain 100 points. So, before the game ends, it is advisable to get rid of them.
- It is always practical to hold you Wild card until the time you can. Wild cards have a special power. No matter what colour or number card is played, the Wild card can always be played. You can use Wildcard anytime, at any point of time in the game. You can choose any colour you want. So, choose wisely considering the cards in your hand.
- A Draw Four card is one the biggest and scary card in the game. It will benefit you the most when you are able to play it at the time when you are down to a few cards in your hand. Also, you are still able to say, Uno. The player on whom you play the Draw four card, have to pick up four cards irrespective of what card he has in his hand. It is mandatory to pick up the cards if Draw four or Draw two is played.
- If you see your opponent is exhausting his cards diligently and it seems that they will announce Uno soon, make sure you turn the game’s direction using your action cards i.e. Wild or Draw Four Wild Cards. You want to give them as little points as you can.
- Always remember to play the big number card first then the small number cards.
- In Uno, the score count is done as per the face value of the card. The cards you are left with at the end of the game will sum up your score. For example, if you are left with two cards of face value 8 and 4. Your score will be the addition of 8 and four which is equal to 12.
- Since our target is to acquire least points, we are required to get rid of higher value cards.
- Never keep the Wildcard and Draw four cards for the end of the game. These two cards have the highest value. 50 points each. So, get rid of them before the game ends.
- New Uno players generally concentrate on playing their hand with respect to the colour. Sometimes it is good, but for sometimes you require to play a card based on its number instead.
- Make sure that you are attentive to the game. Uno rules say that when you are down to single card, you have yell “Uno” before the next player plays his chance. If you forget to say Uno and get caught by any of the players, then you have to pick additional 2 cards which will delay your winning. Accordingly, you have to keep an eye out for the players who are missing out in calling Uno. If you manage to hold the person, the game will go longer, and your chance to win goes high.
- The draw two cards also have 20 points. So, do remember to discard them as well before the game ends or else you will unnecessarily have extra 20 points at the end of the game.
Over to You
Uno is a fun game to be played with everyone of all age group. You can even bond over Uno. It is a game of luck, wit and chances. The more you play, the more you grow. There are several reasons why Uno is considered as one of the best things. It is a perfect game for a family get together or simply a friend’s sleepover and not to mention, during long train journeys. You can enjoy Uno anywhere and everywhere. Uno also made sure that it keeps the interest alive for everybody. Except for the classic Uno we play, Uno has come out with different variants for the masses.